Week Three Prompt Response

 Recommendations of books based on:

1. I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next!

- If you've read Circus of the Damned (1995), then the next in the series is The Lunatic Cafe (1996)! Followed by Bloody Bones (1996). Here's the Goodreads list of the series in order!

2. What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.

- Following Goodreads' tags of environment and romance, I found Clear to Lift (2016) by Anne A. Wilson! Clocking in at 320 pages, the pacing will be just a tad faster than Summer while following the same themes of adventure, conflicting personalities and romance in far-off environments of nature!

3. I like reading books set in different countries. I just read one set in China, could you help me find one set in Japan? No, not modern – historical. I like it when the author describes it so much it feels like I was there!

- If you enjoy historical fiction, you might enjoy the Tales of Otori series by Lian Hearn beginning with Across the Nightingale Floor (2002), following the feats and exploits of feudal Japanese warriors!

4. I read this great mystery by Elizabeth George called Well-Schooled in Murder and I loved it. Then my dentist said that if I liked mysteries I would probably like John Sandford, but boy was he creepy I couldn't finish it! Do you have any suggestions?

- Sandford may be a bit more X-rated than what you're looking for, I might recommend Anne Cleeves's Two Rivers series beginning with The Long Call (2019).  Goodreads readers mention that the main detective character is less the typical hard-boiled hard-drinking aggressive detective and more introspective, considering, cautious and analytical.

5. My husband has really gotten into zombies lately. He’s already read The Walking Dead and World War Z, is there anything else you can recommend?

- While the creatures are described as vampires rather than zombies, there is the classic I Am Legend (1954) by Richard Matheson on Goodreads's Zombies! list. It also follows a post-apocalyptic "last man on earth" story, overrun by hordes of undead. As well, if he would like something non-fiction about the spread of a pandemic, if perhaps that might be even scarier, then I would recommend The Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus (1994) by Richard Preston!

6. I love books that get turned into movies, especially literary ones. Can you recommend some? Nothing too old, maybe just those from the last 5 years or so.

 - With COVID still fresh on the mind, I would recommend Leave the World Behind (2020) by Rumaan Alam! The film adaption is currently streaming on Netflix!

7. I love thrillers but I hate foul language and sex scenes. I want something clean and fast paced.

- As Goodreads readers have recommended, the Three Pines series by Louise Penny contain exciting thrillers without getting graphic! The first book in the series Still Life (2005), wherein the Chief Inspector must uncover the secrets of the idyllic and much too perfect eponymous town of Three Pines to unravel a murder mystery!



Comments

  1. Great book recs! Goodreads is so good to help track down info!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Secret Shopper Trip to the Library- "What's a good book?"

Book Controversies: The Da Vinci Code

Promoting Horror in the Library